Friday, March 26, 2010

The Countdown Begins



It is getting closer to the time when I will be part of a scientific voyage on the research ship Tangaroa.

The aim of the voyage is to find out about the diversity of marine life at different sites under the ocean - sea mounts, seeps, vents and canyons.

A range of different methods will be used such as trawling, core samples and underwater photography.

I will be involved with collecting the marine creatures, cleaning and preserving them and recording them on the database. I am not sure that I will be able to identify them so will leave that part up to the real scientists.

So far to get ready for the voyage I have been helping with getting all the gear ready that we need because once at sea we can't just pop to the shops to get what we forgot. There is so much gear that we need including safety gear, jars for specimens, gloves, ethanol for preserving the creatures, special paper , computers, cameras, bins and buckets ... the list is endless.

While I am on the boat I am in charge of writing the daily Ship to Shore logs to explain what we are doing. These will be posted on the internet so I will put the link here when I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment